Sunday, January 1, 2012

If I remove the baffles from my vance hines pipes will it damage my engine?

I have a Honda 1100 Shadow Spirit with Vance Hines straight pipes, they have baffles right at the end of them, I guess similar to a glass pack on a car to clean up the sound, so you dont hear gargling. I was told if I remove them it will make the bike much much louder. If i do this will it damage my engine because there is no back pressure?|||It's not the loss of back pressure that causes an open exhaust to have an apparent loss of power, it's the loss of exhaust gas velocity when you go to a larger diameter pipe and the flow slows. Smaller pipe= higher velocity at lower RPM= more power at lower RPM, larger pipe = higher velocity at high RPM and more power at high RPM. The velocity helps pull the exhaust out. The diameter of the pipe will determine the power band.


It's when you open up the intake side and let IN more air where you end up leaning the mixture.|||You'll find that the straight-pipes will be super loud! You'll want to wear earplugs while you ride. You may need to re-jet if you notice any detonation in the higher rpm's. Also, no backpressure is a little harder on the piston rings.|||many people run bikes with strait pipes only really dont hurt too much but you might lose slow lower end power but really ive not had any problems remove mine about 6 yrs ago|||No it won't hurt your bike, but you should invest in something better like a HARLEY-DAVIDSON.|||I dont think so but im not 100% positive. If you get a whole new exhuast then you have to rejet it. So dont fully rely on my answer because im not a 100% sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment