Sunday, January 8, 2012

VANCE AND HINES STRAIGHT SHOTS! Help?

I own a 2009 Dyna Super Glide Custom. I want to change the stock exhaust but I dont want to change the entire exhaust system so I was considering V%26amp;H straight shot slip ons. Question 1. do these slip ons come with baffles and if they do will they still have that same mean sound with baffles i guess without baffles the performance of the bike decreases. Question 2. Do i need a fuel pak or power commander even though i;m only changing the mufflers and not the entire exhaust system. Question 3. if I do need a fuel pak i would buy a SE heavy breather while i'm at it. I have a bud of mine who worked in a harley dealership for 16 years as a mechanic and he actually built his own bike frame up. i would have him install the pipes but i;m not sure if he has the proper machines to remapp the fuel pak. what machines are needed to remap a fuel pak i heard its rather easy but what do you use to remap it. is it like a computer or something|||Most people are fine putting those pipes on without changing the tuning of the motorcycle. As it was stated the O2 sensors can make enough adjustments to handle things.





I do not like the Fuel Pak or PC as they stay on the motorcycle and get the vibration and elements (have has several at work get damaged and begin failing). We have even had both parent companies not warranty them, when they obviously were not working properly due to the above damage. I am a big fan of HD's Super Tuner, as it rewrites your ECM and does NOT stay on the bike. It is the more expensive route to take and most people have the dealership tune the bike as you have to purchase the cables and software seperately.





If you add a Hi Flow Air Cleaner of sorts (including the Heavy Breather), then plan on doing some kind of tuning to the motorcycle. Most dealerships offer a "Download" which is a one shot remap for around $150 + labor (time varies from dealership-dealership). The problem with the download is they are not made/tuned for aftermarket exhausts (usually close enough, esp for the V%26amp;H slip-ons) and they are non adjustable. My 2001 Nightrain has a standard Hi Flow and Thunderheader 2-1 exhaust and only has a download done to it and it runs GREAT (was done in the past when more maps were made available).





The Fuel Pak is by far the easier one for an average person to adjust (input the 4 digit code V%26amp;H tells ya and voila you are done).





By adding the Hi Flow you are introducing more air to you air/fuel mixture, thus causing a "lean" mixture. By tuning the motorcycle you are changing this by adding more fuel into the mixture to compensate for the added air flow. This can affect your MPG, but that usually comes from a heavier wrist from a better running motorcycle (opens up that air cooled engine). I average around 35 MPG on my Softail with my setup and I am very, very heavy in the wrist (and cruise always in the triple digits on the highway). I average 3-4K miles per rear tire! Most of my riding is city as it is my only transportation. I do get better fuel economy on longer highway trips.





Those pipes have great sound, great quality and great price :). V%26amp;H stands by their product (except the couple Fuel Pak incidents we had). We sell more V%26amp;H exhaust than all the others combined.|||I'm not sure about the ones you have, but on my 03' sportster's the V%26amp;H doesn't have any baffles. I've even been pulled over a few times for it when I wasn't intentionally being loud or anything.





Once I was even pulled over on a 4 lane highway in the slow lane because the cop heard it from the divider really loud. : (|||get the whole exaust system, you'll be dissapointed with the slip-ons. Let HD put them on for you, they have the specs, from previous installations, and it will not effect your warranty.|||You do not need to remap the computer for slip ons. The O2 sensors will make the adjustments needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment