Sunday, January 1, 2012

Would a Vance Hines muffler increase performance on a 1998 Buell S1W?

I currently have a stock can.|||I had a V%26amp;H can on my Cyclone. It's hard to figure out whether the new air cleaner, the new jetting, or the new can made more of a difference, but it really helped it out.





I think the biggest change would be weight. The factory can is insanely heavy! I bet it was easliy twice as heavy as the aluminum V%26amp;H.|||As for the aforementioned spark arrestor comment, any street bike or road legal exhaust application should have a spark arrestor.





In my opinion, actual performance or "power" gains on high performance four-stroke engines are minimal unless the bike was really choked up from the factory, which some are. Alot of the time a pipe (header) and muffler combo will simply move the power around i.e. more low end, top end, etc... One of the real advantages of aftermarket pipes and mufflers is that they are usually made of lighter materials, therefore enhancing performance by cutting weight. I've seen exhaust systems that cut nearly 10 lbs. off a bikes weight.





My suggestion would to do a little research on some of the various bike forums to find bike specific information. No one should know more about your bike than fellow Buell owners.|||Most likely any aftermarket pipe would as the stock ones have a spark arrestor and have to pass the tough emissions laws to be adr compliant. Make sure to get it re jetted to suit your new pipe for maximum performance gains or you might actually lose power.|||Very little, not worth the money in my opinion. Save it for a more powerful bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment